New Mission Grants Announced
Last weekend, our Michigan District of the LWML met in convention. Our district meets in convention every two years, primarily for the purpose of designating mission grants for the upcoming biennium.
At that convention, a new set of mission grants for the 2018-2020 biennium were selected. The grants cover quite a range of different ministries. Two grants funded scholarships for men and women preparing to be professional church workers. Another provides support for the Luke 52 Project, which services the needs of women in Detroit neighborhoods through partnerships with local churches and community organizations. Another supports outreach to Arab women in Dearborn. (See the complete list at right.)
Mission grants are direct funding given to LWML members, societies, zones, circuit mission councils, and synod boards and Recognized Service Organizations (RSO) of The LCMS for specific ministries that extend the ministry of the Word in Michigan, across our country, and even around the world.
These grants are funded by the "mites" collected and donated by the women of our Michigan District LWML-- spare change that they gather and turn in to their local LWML societies, which pass them along to the district. 75% of the mites collected are used to fund a set of mission grants selected at our district level. The other 25% is passed along to support the grants selected by the national LWML convention.
We praise God for the commitment these women continue to show for the cause of spreading the Gospel both here in Michigan and around the world. We pray that He will richly bless the work of all of these ministries.